Manuel Silos was a Filipino film director and actor. His career spanned the 1930s to the 1960s. Today he is known for his movie Biyaya ng Lupa (1959) which starred Tony Santos and Rosa Rosal. His other noteworthy films were [[Batalyon XIII} and [Tuloy ang Ligaya]].
Writing in Philippine Inquirer on 4 Dec 1999, film critic [[Nestor U. Torre[[ described Silos as: "Unlike other filmmakers who were content to work within the standard filmmaking conventions and limitations, Silos had an agile imagination that prompted him to try to stretch the limits of filmmaking locally. He delighted in playing around with visuals by way of trick photography, like his multiple-image romps in his comedy-musical films." Torre ranked him among Philippine film greats Mike de Leon, Ramon Estella, Gregorio Fernandez, and Eddie Romero.
Filmography as a Director
1. Biyaya ng lupa (1959) or Blessings of the Land 2. Combo Festival (1958) 3. Tuloy ang ligaya (1958) or Happiness Must Go On 4. Dalaginding (1953) 5. Kuwentong bahay-bahayan (1953) 6. Tiya Loleng (1952) 7. Venus (1951) 8. Gitano (1949) 9. Ibigin mo ako, lalaking matapang (1949) 10. Pista sa nayon (1948) 11. Sa Tokyo ikinasal (1948) 12. Victory Joe (1946) 13. Anting-anting (1934) 14. Hinagpis ng magulang (1934) or Wrath of Parents
Filmography as a Actor
1. Puro labis puro kulang (1962)
2. No Place to Hide (1956) as Manuel
3. Sa Tokyo ikinasal (1948) (as Sano)
Filmography as a Writer
1. Gitano (1949) (writer)
- IMDB filmography Accessed 12 August 2009