Malate Church

From Wikipilipinas: The Hip 'n Free Philippine Encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Malate Church


Malate Church, also known as the Church of Our Lady of Remedies is an Augustinian founded church in M.H. del Pilar Street, Malate, Manila. Its titular patroness is the Nuestra Señora De Los Remedios whose statue came from Spain in 1624 by Rev. Juan Guevarra, O.S.A. The shrine honors the Nuestra Señora de Remedios or Our Lady of Remedies and patroness of women in labor and childbirth.

Contents

History

Formerly known as Maalat (derived from the salty waters near it), the first Malate Church was built by the Augustinians in 1588. However, it was later destroyed in 1667 by the orders of Governor-General Sabiniano Manrique de Lara over fears of an attack by the Chinese pirate Li Ma Hong. The structure was rebuilt in 1677-79 by Fr. Dionisio Suarez, O.S.A.

The church underwent various renovations from catastrophes that swept the area number of times. The first structure built in 1591 was heavily damaged by the 1645 earthquake. The second structure, which was made of brick stone, was put up in 1680 and was used by the British forces as a form of refuge and base when they ruled Manila for 18 months. In 1868, the brick church was destroyed by another earthquake and a subsequent typhoon. The church that remains standing today was constructed in 1864 under the supervision of Rev. Francisco Cuadrado. It was razed by a fire during World War II but was restored by the Columbans in the 1950s.

The Parish has been under the administration of the Augustinians, the Secular Clergy, the Redemptorists and the Columbans.

Church facade

Considered as one of the oldest churches built outside the walls of Intramuros, the church's facade was built with a blend of Muslim and Baroque architecture. It has Solomonic columns on the second story. Nonetheless, unlike other Baroque churches at that time, it has no belfry standing on either of its side.

Two flaming hearts, an Augustinian emblem flank the entrance; however they now showed signs of wearing and deterioration because the original palitada had been scraped off the surface. The Muslim influence is apparent in the trefoil arches on the hexagonal side turrets. This architectural fusion gives the facade a tranquil atmosphere.

Gallery

Reference

Citation

Wikipinas.png

Original content from WikiPilipinas. under GNU Free Documentation License. See full disclaimer.