Las Piñas City
|Region||National Capital Region|
|Mayor||Vergel Aguilar (Nacionalista Party)|
|Area|| 41.54 km²|
|Total (2000)|| 472,780|
The City of Las Piñas (Lungsod ng Las Piñas) is one of the 16 cities that make up Metro Manila or the National Capital Region of the Philippines. It is located in the southern part of the metro. It is bordered by Paranaque City to the north, Muntinlupa City to the east, the municipality of Imus, Cavite to the south, the municipality of Bacoor, Cavite to the west and the Manila Bay to the northwest.
Las Piñas City is famous for St. Joseph Church’s bamboo organ which was built in 1824 by Father Diego Cera from wood, metal and bamboo. The organ is famous all over the world for its unique sound.
During the Spanish occupation, Las Piñas was a significant site for the Philippine Revolution because of its tactical location to the south of Manila, the country’s capital. In 1896, general Emilio Aguinaldo stayed in the city. He later became the first Philippine president. After the Spanish colonizers had fled the country, Las Piñas City officially became a municipality of Rizal province in 1901.
When the city became a part of the National Capital Region, it also remained part of Rizal until 1976.
When World War II started, the Japanese colonizers occupied Las Piñas.
On 1997, Las Piñas officially achieved its cityhood under then president Fidel V. Ramos.
Government and barangays
Like all the other cities in the country, Las Piñas is governed by a mayor, vice mayor, lower house representative for their congressional district and other local officials for a three-year term in office. The mayor is responsible for the execution and implementation of the city’s ordinances. He is also in charge of public services. The vice mayor meanwhile is assigned to unite the whole city by communicating among its subordinates in each barangay, the smallest unit of government in the city.
The city is made up of 20 barangays which are divided into two legislative districts. Though the city has two districts, it has only one congressional district translating to only one seat in the lower house.
In the 2010 elections, incumbent mayor Vergel Aguilar was reelected in a landslide victory of 91.96%, while the vice-mayoral seat went to Luis Bustamante. Mark Villar garnered the highest number of votes among contenders, making him the lower house representative of the lone legislative district.
According to the 2007 Census, Las Pinas has a population of 532,330 compared to 472,780 in the year 2000. These figures show an annual population growth of 1.65%.
Las Pinas is generally a residential, commercial and industrial town. Through the years the city continues to develop into a much more urbanized Las Pinas.
Aside from the famous bamboo organ here are some of the city’s pride:
- Sarao Jeepney Factory
- Salt Beds
- The Nature Church
- The Las Pinas Corridor
- Bamboo Organ hubpages.com (Accessed 5 June 2010)
- Las Pinas City world66.com (Accessed 5 June 2010)
- Tourism laspinasourhome.com (Accessed 5 June 2010)
- Province census.gov.ph (Accessed 5 June 2010)
- Election Results ibanangayon.ph (Accessed 5 June 2010)