Kabalikat ng Malayang Pilipino
|This article needs further research.|
This article or section lacks credible sources or references and thus needs further research.
This article is part of the series:
| Political history · Constitution
Benigno Aquino III
|Commission on Elections
Other countries · Atlas
Kabalikat ng Malayang Pilipino (KAMPI, formerly the Kabalikat ng Mamamayang Pilipino) is a political party in the Philippines. It is the mother party of the incumbent Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.
KAMPI was formed during the run-up to the 1998 presidential elections as the vehicle for then Senator Arroyo's presidential campaign, after she defected from Laban ng Demokratikong Pilipino, the party she had been with since she was first elected in 1995. Vicente Sotto III was picked to be her running mate. Before the filing of candidacies, she decided to be the running mate of then Lakas-CMD presidential hopeful Jose de Venecia. As a result, KAMPI went on hiatus.
There were no results available for the last elections for the House of Representatives, but according to the website of the House, the party holds 26 out of 235 seats. The party was at the 2004 elections as a member of the Koalisyon ng Katapatan at Karanasan sa Kinabukasan (K-4, Coalition of Truth and Experience for Tomorrow), the coalition that supported president Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo, who won the 2004 presidential elections. Many legislators of the Lakas-Christian Muslim Democrats defected to KAMPI.
Currently, KAMPI is actively recruiting members to bolster its chances to be the biggest party in the country. This jeopardizes its alliance with Lakas-CMD because they are raiding local officials allied with Lakas-CMD or fielding candidates against incumbent administration officials.
As of March 24, 2007 KAMPI is said to have 67 members of the House of Representatives, 23 provincial governors, and 650 out of the 1610 mayors all over the country.
- Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo - Chairman Emeritus
- Ronaldo Puno - Chairman
- Jose "Peping" Cojuangco - Vice Chairman
- Luis Villafuerte, Sr. - President
- Iggy Arroyo (Negros Occidental Representative)
- Dato Arroyo (Camarines Sur Representative)
- Joker Arroyo (Two-term Senator)
- Joey Salceda (Albay Governor and former Representative and Presidential Chief of Staff)
- Pablo P. Garcia (Cebu Representative)
- Gwendolyn Garcia (Cebu Governor)
- Nestor Fongwan (Benguet Governor)
- Amado "Espines" Espino Jr. (Pangasinan Governor)
- Yeng Guiao (Pampanga Vice Governor and Red Bull Barako Coach)
- Anthony Miranda (Former Isabela Representative)
- Josie Dela Cruz (Former Bulacan Governor)
- Arman Sanchez (Former Batangas Governor and suspected Jueteng lord)
- Strike Revilla (Bacoor, Cavite Mayor and brother of Sen. Ramon "Bong" Revilla Jr.)
- Joson clan of Nueva Ecija (With caucuses with the BALANE Regional party)
Because of the issue over who will be the next Speaker of the House between Jose de Venecia (Lakas-CMD) and Pablo Garcia (KAMPI), the party might split into two between those loyal to Luis Villafuerte, Sr. and DILG Secretary Ronaldo Puno. Puno pledged that members of KAMPI in the incoming 14th Congress will vote for De Venecia while Villafuerte pledged that members under his wing will vote for Garcia.
Provinces with KAMPI members
- Occidental Mindoro
- Nueva Ecija
- Dinagat Islands
- Agusan del Norte
- Sultan Kudarat
- Zamboanga Sibugay
- Compostela Valley
- Zamboanga del Sur