January 25 is the 25th day of the year in the Gregorian calendar. There are 340 days remaining (341 in leap years).
- 41 - After a night of negotiation, Claudius is accepted as Roman Emperor by the Senate.
- 844 - Gregory IV ends his reign as Catholic Pope.
- 1327 - Edward III becomes King of England.
- 1494 - Alfonso II becomes King of Naples.
- 1533 - Henry VIII of England secretly marries his second wife Anne Boleyn.
- 1554 - Founding of São Paulo city, Brazil.
- 1755 - Moscow University established on Tatiana Day.
- 1787 - American Daniel Shays leads rebellion to seize Federal arsenal to protest debtor's prisons.
- 1791 - The British Parliament passes the Constitutional Act of 1791 and splits the old province of Quebec into Upper and Lower Canada.
- 1792 - The London Corresponding Society is founded.
- 1858 - The Wedding March by Felix Mendelssohn becomes a popular wedding recessional after it is played on this day at the marriage of Queen Victoria's daughter, Victoria, and Friedrich of Prussia.
- 1879 - The Bulgarian National Bank is founded.
- 1881 - Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell form the Oriental Telephone Company.
- 1890 - Nellie Bly completes her round-the-world journey in 72 days.
- 1909 - Richard Strauss' opera Elektra receives its debut performance at the Dresden State Opera.
- 1915 - Alexander Graham Bell inaugurates U.S. transcontinental telephone service.
- 1917 - The Danish West Indies is sold to the United States for $25 million.
- 1919 - The League of Nations is founded.
- 1924 - The 1924 Winter Olympics open in Chamonix, France (in the French Alps), inaugurating the Winter Olympic Games.
- 1937 - The Guiding Light airs on radio for the first time. Also went to television making this show the longest running broadcast program in United States radio and television history.
- 1941 - Pope Pius XII elevates the Apostolic Vicariate of the Hawaiian Islands to the dignity of a diocese. It becomes the Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu.
- 1942 - Thailand declares war on the United States and United Kingdom.
- 1945 - Battle of the Bulge ends.
- 1946 - The United Mine Workers rejoins the American Federation of Labor.
- 1949 - At the Hollywood Athletic Club the first Emmy Awards are presented.
- 1949 - The first Israeli election -- David Ben-Gurion becomes Prime Minister.
- 1955 - Soviet Union ends state of war with Germany.
- 1959 - Pope John XXIII proclaims upcoming Second Vatican Council.
- 1960 - The National Association of Broadcasters reacts to the Payola scandal by threatening fines for any disc jockeys who accepted money for playing particular records.
- 1961 - In Washington, D.C. John F. Kennedy delivers the first live presidential television news conference.
- 1971 - Charles Manson and three female "family members" are found guilty of murder and sentenced to life imprisonment.
- 1971 - Idi Amin leads a coup deposing Milton Obote and becomes Uganda's president.
- 1971 - Himachal Pradesh becomes the 18th Indian state.
- 1981 - Jiang Qing, the widow of Mao Zedong, is sentenced to death.
- 1986 - The National Resistance Movement topple the government of Tito Okello in Uganda.
- 1990 - The Burns' Day storm hits northwestern Europe.
- 1990 - Honduras becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
- 1990 - Avianca Flight 52 crashes, killing 73 passengers.
- 1993 - Mir Amir Kansi kills two employees outside CIA headquarters in Langley, Virginia.
- 1995 - The Norwegian Rocket Incident: Russia almost launches a nuclear attack after Black Brant XII, a Norwegian research rocket, is mistaken for a US Trident missile by the
- 1998 - During a historic visit to Cuba Pope John Paul II demands the release of political prisoners and political reforms while condemning US attempts to isolate the country.
- 1998 - Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) suicide attack on Sri Lanka's Temple of the Tooth, killing 8 people injuring 25 others.
- 1999 - A 6.0 Richter scale earthquake hits western Colombia killing at least 1,000.
- 2002 - Wikipedia switches to the new version of its software ("Phase II") aka Magnus Manske Day.
- 2004 - Opportunity rover (MER-B) lands on surface of Mars.
- 2005 - A stampede at the Mandher Devi temple in Mandhradevi in India kills at least 258.
- 2006 - Three independent observing campaigns announce the discovery of OGLE-2005-BLG-390Lb through gravitational microlensing, the first cool rocky/icy extrasolar planet around a main-sequence star.
- 750 - Leo IV the Khazar, Byzantine Emperor
- 1477 - Anna, Duchess of Brittany, wife of Charles VIII of France (d. 1514)
- 1509 - Giovanni Morone, Italian cardinal (d. 1580)
- 1615 - Govert Flinck, Dutch painter (d. 1660)
- 1627 - Robert Boyle, Irish chemist (d. 1691)
- 1634 - Gaspar Fagel, Dutch statesman (d. 1688)
- 1640 - William Cavendish, 1st Duke of Devonshire, English soldier and statesman (d. 1707)
- 1736 - Joseph Louis Lagrange, Italian-born mathematician (d. 1813)
- 1739 - Charles François Dumouriez, French general (d. 1823)
- 1759 - Robert Burns, Scottish poet (d. 1796)
- 1794 - François-Vincent Raspail, French chemist (d. 1878)
- 1796 - William MacGillivray, Scottish naturalist and ornithologist (d. 1852)
- 1825 - George Pickett, American Confederate General (d. 1875)
- 1841 - Jackie Fisher, British First Sea Lord (d. 1920)
- 1858 - Kokichi Mikimoto, Japanese pearl farm pioneer (d. 1954)
- 1860 - Charles Curtis, 31st Vice President of the United States (d. 1936)
- 1864 - Julije Kempf, Croatian historian and writer (d. 1934)
- 1874 - W. Somerset Maugham, English writer (d. 1965)
- 1878 - Ernst Alexanderson, Swedish-born television pioneer (d. 1975)
- 1882 - Virginia Woolf, English writer (d. 1941)
- 1886 - Wilhelm Furtwängler, German conductor (d. 1954)
- 1899 - Paul-Henri Spaak, Belgian politician (d. 1972)
- 1900 - Theodosius Dobzhansky, Ukrainian-American geneticist and biologist (d. 1975)
- 1900 - Yojiro Ishizaka, Japanese writer (d. 1986)
- 1905 - Maurice Roy, French Canadian Roman Catholic cardinal, archbishop of Quebec (d. 1985)
- 1913 - Witold Lutosławski, Polish composer (d. 1994)
- 1913 - Luis Marden, American photojournalist (d. 2003)
- 1916 - Frank "Pop" Ivy, American and Canadian football coach (d. 2003)
- 1917 - Ilya Prigogine, Russian scientist Nobel Laureate (d. 2003)
- 1917 - Jânio Quadros, Brazilian politician (d. 1992)
- 1918 - Ernie Harwell, American baseball sportscaster
- 1919 - Edwin Newman, American journalist and writer
- 1923 - Shirley Mason, American psychiatric patient (Commonly known as Sybil) (d. 1998)
- 1924 - Lou Groza, American football player (d. 2000)
- 1927 - Antonio Carlos Jobim, Brazilian musician (d. 1994)
- 1928 - Eduard Shevardnadze, President of Georgia
- 1928 - Jérôme Choquette, Quebec lawyer and politician
- 1929 - Benny Golson, American jazz musician
- 1930 - Tanya Savicheva, Russian diarist (d. 1944)
- 1931 - Dean Jones, American actor
- 1933 - Corazon Aquino, President of the Philippines
- 1936 - Diana Hyland, American actress (d. 1977)
- 1937 - Ange-Félix Patassé, President of the Central African Republic
- 1938 - Shotaro Ishinomori, Japanese manga author (d. 1998)
- 1938 - Etta James, American singer
- 1938 - Vladimir Vysotsky, Russian poet (d. 1980)
- 1939 - Gabriel Romanus, Swedish politician
- 1941 - Buddy Baker, American race car driver
- 1941 - Gregory Sierra, American actor
- 1942 - Carl Eller, American football player
- 1942 - Eusébio, Portuguese footballer
- 1943 - Tobe Hooper, American film director
- 1944 - Anita Pallenberg, Italian model
- 1945 - Leigh Taylor-Young, American actress
- 1947 - Tostão, Brazilian footballer
- 1947 - Angel Nieto, Spanish motorcycle racer
- 1949 - Paul Nurse, English biochemist, Nobel Laureate
- 1949 - John Cooper Clarke, English punk-poet
- 1951 - Steve Prefontaine, American runner (d. 1975)
- 1952 - Timothy White, American journalist (d. 2002)
- 1953 - Wayne Ferris, American professional wrestler
- 1954 - Ricardo Bochini, Argentinian footballer
- 1954 - Kim Gandy, American feminist
- 1955 - Terry Chimes, English musician (The Clash)
- 1956 - Andy Cox, English musician (The Beat, Fine Young Cannibals)
- 1957 - Jenifer Lewis, American actress
- 1957 - Eskil Erlandsson, Swedish politician
- 1957 - Andrew P. Harris, American politician
- 1958 - Dinah Manoff, American actress
- 1961 - Vivian Balakrishnan, Singaporean politician
- 1962 - Chris Chelios, American ice hockey player
- 1965 - Esa Tikkanen, Finnish ice hockey player
- 1967 - Randy McKay, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1969 - Kina, American singer
- 1971 - Luca Badoer, Italian race car driver
- 1971 - Ana Ortiz, American actress and singer
- 1973 - Geoff Johns, American comic book writer
- 1973 - Chris Guy, American professional wrestler
- 1975 - Mia Kirshner, Canadian actress
- 1975 - Tim Montgomery, American athlete
- 1976 - Mario Haberfeld, Brazilian racing car driver
- 1978 - Denis Menchov, Russian cyclist
- 1978 - Phil Stacey, American Singer
- 1979 - Pi Hongyan, French badminton player
- 1979 - Gabe Jennings, American distance runner
- 1979 - Rodrigo Ribeiro, Brazilian racing driver
- 1980 - Alicia Keys, American singer
- 1980 - Michelle McCool, American professional wrestler
- 1980 - Xavi, Catalan Spanish footballer
- 1980 - Efstathios Tavlaridis, Greek footballer
- 1981 - Francis Jeffers, English footballer
- 1982 - Sho Sakurai, Japanese singer and actor
- 1984 - Ines Cudna, Polish model
- 1984 - Robinho, Brazilian footballer
- 1985 - Tina Karol, Ukrainian singer
- 1986 - Chris O'Grady, English footballer
- 1987 - Maria Kirilenko, Russian tennis player
- 1988 - Tatiana Golovin, French tennis player
- 389 - Gregory Nazianzus, theologian and Patriarch of Constantinople (b. 329)
- 477 - Geiseric, King of the Vandals and Alans
- 844 - Pope Gregory IV
- 1067 - Emperor Yingzong of China (b. 1032)
- 1366 - Henry Suso, German mystic
- 1431 - Charles II, Duke of Lorraine (b. 1364)
- 1494 - King Ferdinand I of Naples (b. 1423)
- 1559 - King Christian II of Denmark, Sweden and Norway (b. 1481)
- 1586 - Lucas Cranach the Younger, German painter (b. 1515)
- 1640 - Robert Burton, English scholar (b. 1577)
- 1670 - Nicholas II, Duke of Lorraine (b. 1612)
- 1726 - Guillaume Delisle, French cartographer (b. 1675)
- 1733 - Gilbert Heathcote, Mayor of London (b. 1652)
- 1751 - Paul Dudley, Attorney-General of Massachusetts (b. 1675)
- 1881 - Konstantin Thon, Russian architect (b. 1794)
- 1907 - René Pottier, French cyclist (b. 1879)
- 1908 - Mikhail Chigorin, Russian chess player (b. 1850)
- 1908 - Ouida, English writer (b. 1839)
- 1912 - Dmitry Milyutin, Russian Field Marshal (b. 1816)
- 1925 - Ivan Vucetic, Croatian anthropologist (b. 1858)
- 1940 - Elias Simojoki, Finnish clergyman and politician (b. 1899)
- 1947 - Al Capone, American gangster (b. 1899)
- 1963 - Wilson Kettle, Guinness World Record holder for most living descendants (b. 1860)
- 1969 - Irene Castle, English dancer (b. 1887)
- 1970 - Jane Bathori, French mezzo-soprano (b. 1877)
- 1970 - Eiji Tsuburaya, Founder of Tsuburaya Productions, creator of Ultraman (b. 1901)
- 1972 - Erhard Milch, German field marshal (b. 1892)
- 1975 - Charlotte Whitton, Canadian politician, mayor of Ottawa (b. 1896)
- 1981 - Adele Astaire, American dancer (b. 1897)
- 1982 - Mikhail Suslov, Soviet politician (b. 1902)
- 1990 - Ava Gardner, American actress (b. 1922)
- 1994 - Stephen Cole Kleene, American mathematician (b. 1909)
- 1995 - Cal Jammer, American actor (b. 1960)
- 1996 - Jonathan Larson, American composer (b. 1960)
- 1999 - Sarah "Sadie" Delany, American author (b. 1889)
- 1999 - Robert Shaw, American conductor (b. 1916)
- 2003 - Samuel Weems, Arkansas judge (b. 1936)
- 2004 - Fanny Blankers-Koen, Dutch athlete (b. 1918)
- 2004 - Miklós Fehér, Hungarian footballer (b. 1979)
- 2005 - Stanisław Albinowski, Polish economist and journalist (b. 1923)
- 2005 - William Augustus Bootle, American judge (b. 1902)
- 2005 - Philip Johnson, American architect (b. 1906)
- 2005 - Ray Peterson, American singer (b. 1935)
- 2005 - Nettie Witziers-Timmer, Dutch athlete (b. 1923)
- 2006 - Anna Malle, adult film star (b. 1967)
Holidays and observances
an:25 de chinero
ast:25 de xineru
ca:25 de gener
co:25 di ghjennaghju
es:25 de enero
eo:25-a de januaro
fur:25 di Zenâr
gd:25 am Faoilleach
gl:25 de xaneiro
io:25 di januaro
ia:25 de januario
nap:25 'e jennaro
nov:25 de januare
oc:25 de genièr
pt:25 de Janeiro
scn:25 di jinnaru
vi:25 tháng 1
vec:25 de genaro
wa:25 di djanvî
Original content from Wikipedia under GNU Free Documentation License. See full disclaimer.