Hernani, Eastern Samar
Hernani is a 5th class municipality in the province of Eastern Samar, Philippines. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 7,642 people in 1,412 households. It has a land area of 49.42 square km.
Hernani is politically subdivided into 13 barangays. Four barangays, located in the poblacion, are known primarily by number:
- Barangay 1
- Barangay 2
- Barangay 3
- Barangay 4
- San Miguel
- San Isidro
On October 12, 1897, giant tidal waves struck Hernani. More than 300 people were killed, and public buildings and houses were destroyed, including the newly–built stone church. Following the disaster, the survivors relocated the town center to a more secure place about one–half kilometer inland. This site is now the present location.
Immediately following the Philippine-American War, the political status of Hernani was reduced into a barrio under the jurisdiction of Lanang (now Llorente). In 1912, its status as a municipality was restored but the seat of local government was transferred to Pambujan (now General MacArthur). However, in 1926, the municipality of Hernani regained back the township by virtue of an Executive Order issued by then American Government–General Leonard Wood.
- Hernani official government website
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- 2000 Philippine Census Information
ceb:Hernani, Eastern Samar nl:Hernani (Eastern Samar) war:Hernani, Eastern Samar