De La Salle University-Manila
|Motto|| Religio Mores Cultura|
Christian Achievers for God and Country
|Type||Private, Lasallian university|
|Endowment||PhP 501.03 million<ref name="endow">"In Review: De La Salle's Endowment Fund". The LaSallian. Vol. XLVI No. 7. December 15, 2006. DLSU Science Foundation, a separate corporation from DLSU, manages the endowment funds of the university. The PhP 501.03 million fund is for school year 2004-2005.</ref>|
|President||Brother Armin Luistro FSC|
|Location||Malate, Manila, Philippines|
|Address||2401 Taft Avenue, Manila|
|Campus||Urban, 50,400 m²|
|Colors||Green and White|
|Nickname||La Salle Green Archers|
|Mascot||Gordo, Flaco and Sally|
|Affiliations||ASAIHL, AUN,<ref name="aff">DLSU-Manila: Inside DLSU : Membership in Organizations dlsu.edu.ph Accessed September 3, 2006</ref> ASEACU,<ref name="aff"/> IIC,<ref name="aff"/> UAAP, IFCU,<ref name="aff"/> PATE,<ref name="aff"/> IAU<ref name="aff"/>, AUN|
- "De La Salle University" redirects here. For the former DLSU System, see De La Salle Philippines. For the university in Philadelphia, see La Salle University.
De La Salle University-Manila (DLSU-M, La Salle-Manila, or simply La Salle) is a private Catholic university located in Taft Avenue in the district of Malate in Manila. It was established on June 16, 1911 by the De La Salle Brothers on Calle Nozaleda in Paco, Manila at the request of Archbishop Jeremiah James Harty.<ref name="Handbook">De La Salle University-Manila Student's Handbook: 2003-06. Manila: DLSU Press. 2003</ref><ref>Carlos Quirino. La Salle: 1911–1986. Filipinas Foundation, Inc. 1986.</ref> In 1921, it was moved to its present location on 2401 Taft Avenue in Malate. The school was exclusively for boys until 1973 when it opened its doors to women. The university draws inspiration from the life and works of the institution's founder, Saint John Baptist de La Salle. It offers programs in undergraduate and graduate levels covering various fields in business and economics, engineering, science, liberal arts, education and computer studies.
DLSU-Manila is the oldest campus of De La Salle Philippines, a system composed of 18 Lasallian institutions in the Philippines established in 2006 to replace the De La Salle University System. The university has contributed much on the development of the other campuses of the system in the past, and is commonly referred to as the Main Campus or La Salle Main.<ref>DLSU System Historical Background. system.dlsu.edu.ph. 2004</ref> However, usage of the term is often discouraged because all DLSP member schools are independent and are not centralized on a main campus.<ref>Fresh perspective: The Myth of "La Salle Main" (PDF), DLS-CSB Marketing Communications Office, May 2006</ref>
It is the first of only two universities in the Philippines to earn a Level IV accreditation—the highest possible level—granted by the Philippine Accrediting Association of Schools, Colleges, and Universities (PAASCU)<ref>DLSU-Manila: PAASCU dlsu.edu.ph Accessed September 3, 2006</ref> It is also selected by ASEAN along with the Ateneo de Manila Universiity and the University of the Philippines to be part of the ASEAN University Network. The university, together with the Ateneo de Manila University, established the world renowned Asian Institute of Management, offering full-time business graduate education in Asia.
De La Salle College was founded in 1911 when the Brothers of the Christian Schools opened their first school in the Philippines on Calle Nozaleda in Paco in the city of Manila. The first classes were conducted in Spanish for the first 125 boys of varying ages and grade levels. During the early years, the Brothers were allowed to offer the full primary and intermediate programs and a three-year commercial secondary school program. The Commercial High School Diploma was first conferred in 1915 to three graduates. In November 1917, the school was allowed to confer an Associate in Arts degree.
Due to the lack of space on the Nozaleda Campus in Paco, the Brothers made a decision to build a new school in Taft Avenue. Br. Acisclus Michael FSC then secured a vacant space at the southernmost boundary of Manila. The Paco property was then sold in March 19, 1920 to a wealthy shipping magnate. Classes on the Taft campus formally started in October 3, 1921, while the building was completed in December 15, 1924.
In 1920, the school opened a two-year commercial course. The school's catalog for 1925 listed courses for an Associate in Arts, a two-year Commerce curriculum, and a Bachelor of Arts and a Master of Arts although these last two degrees were never conferred before World War II. In 1930, the College was authorized to confer the degrees of Bachelor of Science in Education and Master of Science of Education. The last pre-war arts degree holders graduated in 1931. The Associate in Arts program was then discontinued because of the department's lack of staff. The Bachelor of Science in Commerce degree was first conferred in 1931 after a third year had been added to the initial two-year program.
World War II
During the Second World War, the Japanese forces in Manila forcibly took over the College grounds and turned the campus into defense quarters. Classes continued during the War but the curriculum was severely reduced. Repeated bombings of the vicinity resulted in the total destruction of the college gymnasium, its library holdings, as well as laboratory equipment. On February 12, 1945, as American forces were making their way back to Manila and its environs, a small group of Japanese soldiers massacred 16 Christian Brothers, as well as several families who had taken refuge with them in the school chapel.
The end of the War brought the imprisoned American Brothers back home from the Los Banos concentration camp. They resumed classes in July 1945 in spite of lacking manpower and facilities; 1945 saw 60 boys graduating from high school at the end of the school year. Recognizing the role of education in reconstructing the Philippines, the Brothers expanded the Commerce curriculum into a four-year program.<ref name="Catalog">De La Salle University-Manila. (2002). Undergraduate catalog. Manila: DLSU Press.</ref>
|Presidents of DLSU|
|Br. Blimond Pierre FSC, 1911-1912|
|Br. Goslin Camille FSC, 1912-1915|
|Br. Acisclus Michael FSC, 1915-1919|
|Br. Albinus Peter FSC<ref>Br. Albinus Peter was the first to use the title of President. The previous title for the Chief Executive Officer was Director.</ref>, 1919-1923|
|Br. Acisclus Michael FSC, 1923-1927|
|Br. Celba John FSC, 1927-1930|
|Br. Dorothy Joseph FSC, 1930-1933|
|Br. Marchian James FSC, 1933-1936|
|Br. Flannan Paul FSC, 1936|
|Br. Egbert Xavier FSC, 1937-1945|
|Br. Lucian Athanasius FSC, 1945-1950|
|Br. Antony Ferdinand FSC<ref>Br. Anthony Ferdinand became Acting President after Br. Lucian Athanasius was forced to return to the United States to rest.</ref>, 1945-1946|
|Br. Hyacinth Gabriel FSC<ref>Br. Gabriel succeeded Br. Andelino Manuel FSC, who served as Acting President for three months after Br. Athanasius died in 1950.</ref>, 1950-1959|
|Br. Denis of Mary FSC, 1959-1961|
|Br. Crescentius Richard FSC, 1961-1966|
|Br. Hyacinth Gabriel FSC, 1966-1978|
|Br. Andrew Gonzalez FSC, 1978-1991|
|Br. Rafael Donato FSC, 1991-1994|
|Br. Andrew Gonzalez FSC, 1994-1998|
|Br. Rolando Dizon FSC , 1998-2003|
|Dr. Carmelita Quebengco<ref>Dr. Quebengco became Interim President after Br. Rolando Dizon was chosen to become the Chairman of the Commission on Higher Education</ref>, 2003-2004|
|Br. Armin Luistro FSC, 2004-incumbent|
Post-war recovery and development
The post-war years saw the establishment of numerous undergraduate schools and units. In 1947, the undergraduate school of Engineering was established, followed by Arts and Sciences in 1953, Education in 1959, Industrial Technology in 1973, and Career Development in 1980. De La Salle's Graduate School of Business Administration was established in 1960, followed by Education in 1963. In 1979, the College of Industrial Technology was merged with the College of Engineering as an Engineering Technology Program. In 1981, the Center for Planning, Information, and Computer Science was organized prompting the initial offering of the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science program. Beginning school year 1984–1985, the Computer Science Program was spun off as a program under the College of Computer Studies. In 1982, the La Salle Teacher Training Center was put up to revive an earlier education program and in 1987, this center was elevated to the La Salle School of Education.
The events of the 1970s were crucial to the development of De La Salle as a social institution. The College began admitting female students in 1973. That same year, a blueprint called De La Salle Ten Years was published, projecting the planned improvements of the school from 1973 to 1983, and was updated yearly.<ref name="Catalog" />
Attaining university status
On February 19, 1975, De La Salle College was granted university status and became known as De La Salle University. Another milestone school year was 1981–1982, when the university adopted the year-round trimestral calendar for all units instead of the traditional semestral academic schedule. The trimestral system allows its students to graduate earlier than their counterparts in other schools that employ the semestral system.<ref name="Catalog" /> In 1987, the De La Salle University System was established under the term of Br. Andrew Gonzalez FSC and the university became known as De La Salle University-Manila.
In March 28, 1994, De La Salle University-Manila had full Internet connection<ref name="itc">DLSU-Manila: ITC's Historical Background,dlsu.edu.ph Accessed September 5, 2006</ref>, and was one of the first Philippine schools to be connected to the Internet<ref>DigitalFilipino.com RP Internet Facts, Accessed September 10, 2006</ref>. The university then created its official website, dlsu.edu.ph in December of the same year<ref name="itc" />. In 1996, graduate and undergraduate students were given internet accounts<ref name="itc" />, and the university became the first Philippine educational institution online<ref>Philippine Internet Review:: BOOK OUTLINE, Philippine Internet Review Project Accessed September 5, 2006</ref>. During school year 1995–1996, DLSU Professional Schools was established, comprising the College of Computer Studies and the Graduate School of Business. Both were granted semi-autonomous status, which allowed them certain freedom to come up with their own academic and hiring policies, pay scale, among other things. In 2002, the College of Computer Studies was reintegrated into DLSU-Manila.
In July 2006, De La Salle-Professional Schools, Inc. separated from DLSU-Manila making it fully autonomous. In October 2006, Globe Telecom introduced the Animo SIM, a personalized SIM card for DLSU-Manila students. The Animo SIM contains all the usual features of a regular Globe SIM card with additional features. Students will be able to follow up their grades and schedules and receive special announcements from the university through SMS, and have their own personalized La Salle menus using the SIM. In March 2007, the College of Computer Studies was recognized as Center of Excellence for Information Technology by the Commission on Higher Education.
The university is part of the establishment of consortium agreements with other major universities in the Philippines. These consortia have made exchange programs of students and faculty between the different schools, as well as the sharing of specializations which are inherent in to individual schools possible. At present, De La Salle has consortium agreements with St. Scholastica's College, the Philippine Christian University, St. Paul University of Manila, the Philippine Normal University, the Ateneo de Manila University, and the University of the Philippines. Through these agreements, both the faculty and students of De La Salle are able to use the facilities of these schools and to work with their counterparts in the consortia.<ref name="Handbook" />
Religious and lay professors and instructors trained in European, American, Asian, and Philippine institutions of learning compose the teaching staff of the University. The majority are professional educators while part-time professors and lecturers are also regularly invited to teach certain special and professional courses in commerce, engineering, education, computer studies, and arts and sciences.<ref name="aff">DLSU-Manila : Faculty & Staff : Overview dlsu.edu.ph Accessed March 13, 2007</ref>
The trimestral calendar being used by the university consists of three regular trimesters of about 13 to 14 weeks each and trimestral breaks of about two weeks each. Ideally, under this system, students are be able to finish their studies in less time than their counterparts in the regular semestral program. Under this calendar, the subjects for each trimester employ a more evenly-paced schedule.
Every year, the University receives 16,000 applications for undergraduate admission to the University although only about 3,000 are finally accepted, an acceptance rate of roughly 19%.<ref>Ruiz, L. J. and K. J. Tang. Application fee panghimok sa mga potensyal na Lasalyano. Ang Pahayagang Plaridel 25 Aug. 2006: A6.</ref>
The university is composed of six colleges which provide undergraduate and graduate programs:
- The College of Business and Economics, established in 1920, is currently the largest college of the university in terms of students. Many of its alumni have distinguished themselves as assuming top-level positions in the academe, business and industry, and government, such as Jose W. Diokno, Alberto Romulo, Francisco Ortigas Jr., Ernesto Rufino Sr., J. Amado Araneta, J. Antonio Araneta, Pedro S. Cojuangco, Eduardo Cojuangco Jr., Raul Concepcion, Jose Concepcion III, Rafael Buenaventura, Jose Cuisia Jr., Ramon del Rosario Sr., Ramon del Rosario Jr. and Enrique Zobel.
- The College of Computer Studies is the youngest member college of the university and was established in 1981 as the Center for Planning, Information, and Computer Science, offering only a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science. The department was formally declared as a college in 1984.
- The College of Education is one of the oldest colleges in the university where it dates back to 1936 when De La Salle College was authorized to confer the degree of Master of Science in Education. The College of Education seeks to train students to be holistic, interdisciplinary, innovative, and culture-sentitive mentors. While it is the smallest college in terms of undergraduate student population, it is the biggest college in terms of graduate student population.
- The College of Engineering, founded in 1947, provides high quality engineering education in the Philippines. It is quite successful, attaining some of the highest passing rates in the Philippine board exams, and is the only private institution in the Philippines selected by ASEAN to be part of the Southeast Asian Engineering Education Network (SEED-Net). It plays a major role as a leader in human resources development in engineering and information technology in Southeast Asia. Currently, the college earns the highest accreditation in engineering education in the Philippines given by the Commission on Higher Education, with three of its departments granted the title as Centers of Excellence. <ref> Its Mechanical Engineering and Chemical Engineering college programs respectively hold the distinction as CHED's only Center-of-Excellence awardee in the Philippines in their field of study. DLSU-Manila: College of Engineering Accessed October 21, 2006</ref>
- The College of Liberal Arts, formerly known as the College of Arts and Sciences that was founded in 1918. In 1982, the College of Arts and Sciences was split into two colleges, the College of Liberal Arts, and the College of Science. The CLA provides students with a liberal education enough to develop the student in humanities and the social sciences. The college is the second most populous college in the university, after the College of Business and Economics.
- The College of Science was formed when the departments of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics and Physics separated from the College of Arts and Sciences in 1982. In October 6, 2006, all of its Science and Mathematics programs have been granted the recognition of Center of Excellence in the Philippines by the Commission on Higher Education. It is the only private institution in the Philippines to be given such a distinction. <ref>CHED reaffirms COS Center of Excellence status, 2401, Vol. 38. October 9, 2006</ref>
Centers of Excellence
Centers of Development
- Advanced Research in Computing (AdRIC)
- Angelo King Institute for Economics and Business Studies (AKI)
- American Studies Resource Center
- Bienvenido N. Santos Creative Writing Center
- Brother Alfred Shields FSC Marine Biological Station in Matuod, Batangas
- Center for Business and Economics Research and Development (CBERD)
- Center for Educational Media (CREM)
- Center for Engineering and Sustainable Development Research
- Center for Engineering Research, Training and Consultancy
- Center for Natural Sciences and Environmental Research (CENSER)
- Center of Research in Advanced Information and Computing Technology (CReATe)
- CHED-Zonal Research Center
- Culture and Cognition Research Laboratory (CCRL)
- Educational Management Center
- European Documentation and Research Centre (EDRC)
- Laboratoryo sa Pananaliksik sa Sikolohiya (LAPIS) (Laboratory for Research in Psychology)
- Lasallian Institute for Development and Educational Research (LIDER)
- La Salle Institute for Governance (LSIG)
- Science and Technology Research Center (STRC)
- Social Development Research Center (SDRC)
- Yuchengco Center (YC)
The campus at present, which consists of nineteen buildings, stands on a 5.04 hectare lot facing Taft Avenue in Malate, adjacent to the 1934-built Rizal Memorial Sports Complex, De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde's Taft Campus, and the Vito Cruz LRT Station. The first building of the Taft campus was the St. La Salle Hall(1921), a neoclassical structure designed by renowned architect Tomas Mapua which is now being used by the College of Business and Economics.
The campus was then expanded after the war with the construction of the Br. Athanasius FSC Gym to replace the original pre-war Gym that was burned during World War II and 6-storey St. Joseph Hall in 1956 and the Br. Alphonsus Bloemen FSC Hall and Br. Gabriel Connon FSC Hall in the 1970s. The 1980s saw the construction of the Velasco Hall, St. Brother Miguel Hall and the new University Library. The campus was then expanded to nearby Fidel Reyes St. in the 1990s with the construction of the Gokongwei Hall, the Science and Technology Research Center and the Enrique M. Razon Sports Complex. The newer buildings include the Br. John Hall in the southern corner of the campus, the Don Enrique T. Yuchengco Hall built on the former location of the Br. Athanasius Gym and the Br. Andrew Gonzalez Hall located in front of the Sports Complex which was completed in June 2006 and currently the tallest school building in the Philippines.<ref>Edifice for Brother Andrew, Recto Architects, 2005</ref>
The campus is dominated by two architectural styles, with most of the major buildings featuring neoclassical architecture while the rest of the buildings features the less decorative modernist style. The design of the new Br. Andrew Gonzalez Hall is said to be a modern interpretation of neoclassical design. It retains the beautiful form and proportion of classical architecture but is executed in modern lines and using modern materials such as high-reflective glass curtain walls and high-tech equipment. <ref>Recto designs new 20-storey DLSU bldg. Philippine Daily Inquirer, April 20, 2004</ref>
- St. La Salle Hall
- St. Joseph Hall
- St. Brother Miguel Hall
- Velasco Hall
- Gokongwei Hall
- St. Mutien-Marie Hall
- Don Enrique T. Yuchengco Hall
- Br. Andrew Gonzalez Hall
- Br. Connon Hall
- William Hall
- Enrique M. Razon Sports Center
- University Library Building
- Pearl of Great Price Chapel
- Science and Technology Research Center (STRC)
- Marilen-Gaerlan Conservatory
- Br. John Hall
- Br. Alphonsus Bloemen Hall - the university cafeteria
- L'Hermitage House - used for recollections
- Warehouse (formerly the Alphonsus Bloemen Building) - houses the rehearsal hall of the DLSU Pops Orchestra as well as the offices of the 247th Naval ROTC Unit.
The University prepares its students through programs that aim to form well-rounded individuals. The university is strongly student-oriented, with such programs as faculty grievance, wherein students can opt to file a complaint against teachers, which the university will hear and decide on with the presence of the Student Council.<ref name="Handbook" /> The University's Student Council has also helped through the writing of the Student Handbook, the lowering of tuition fees, entertainment, and the like. Students also can agree or disagree together with the university administration whether or not they will hire certain members of faculty.
Under the wing of the Council of Student Organizations, the university has 28 professional student organizations, 2 socio-civic organizations, 5 special interest groups, 4 student activities organizations and 6 college batch assemblies. These clubs and organizations range from political organizations to debate societies, from Dragon Boat teams to ROTC units, writing clubs to multimedia organizations, and from publications to international studies clubs.
Student Personnel Services
The university sponsors and implements a comprehensive student services program coordinated by the Dean of Student Affairs, with the aim of developing the full potential of each student.<ref name="Catalog" /> Some notable offices include:
Cultural Arts Office
The Cultural Arts Office takes care of tapping and developing the talents of Lasallian students through its different cultural organizations. Through seminars and workshops, students with strong inclinations for music, dance, and theater build up their artistry and craft. Cultural arts-related programs and activities organizaed by the group in venues inside and outside of the university promote awareness and appreciation of different art forms for the La Sallian.
The CAO consists of eight performing groups:
- DLSU Chorale - The official student chorale group of the university, established in 1987. It performs in various gatherings, concerts and functions both locally and abroad.
- DLSU Chamber Ensemble
- DLSU Pops Orchestra
- DLSU Pep Squad
- De La Salle Innersoul - pop group singing ministry. The group has produced popular Philippine music groups such as South Border and 17:28.
- Harlequin Theatre Guild
- La Salle Dance Company-Jazz
- La Salle Dance Company-Street
- La Salle Dance Company-Folk
The CAO is also comprised of Student Support Groups, consisting of the following:
- Student Artist Managers
- Green Media Group
Office of Sports Development (OSD)
The OSD is responsible for the development and implementation of the university's Sports Program through the recruitment and training of varsity athletes. These athletes are then called upon to represent DLSU-M in the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP), the National Capital Region Athletic Association (NCRAA), and the University Games (UniGames), as well as other local and international tournaments and invitationals. The OSD may also provide assistance to the La Salle Athletic League (LSAL), Student Sports Clubs and other members of the De La Salle Philippines. The OSD oversees varsity teams in Track and Field, Badminton, Basketball, Chess, Fencing, Football, Judo, Lawn Tennis, Softball, Swimming, Taekwondo, Table Tennis, Volleyball, and Cheerleading.
Clubs have also been organized to harness students’ talents and include the Arnis Team, the Dragon Boat Team, the Hockey Club, the Iron Works Club, the Karatedo Club, DLSU Rowing, Sarian and the Yonshinkan Aikido Club.
Student Publications Office
The office provides opportunities for student writers to improve on their craft through practice, interaction, and instructions in journalism and creative writing. It also provides advice to student writers on matters concerning campus press operation and management, and encourages freshmen to get involved in the publications and develops a pool of talents who are able to serve in the school papers.
The following are autonomous organizations and publications but the office extends them editorial and technical advice:
- The LaSallian
- Ang Pahayagang Plaridel
- Green and White
- The Malate Literary Folio
Alma Mater hymn
In 1961, Br. Stephen Malachy FSC took out a small harmonica during a class and shared a song that he and Br. Bonaventure Richard FSC had recently composed to his students.<ref>Hail to De La Salle! ANTHEM, DLSAA Alumni Homecoming Presentation. Accessed September 3, 2006</ref> The melody originated in San Joaquin Memorial High School, in Fresno, California where Br. Stephen was assigned as a lyricist in the 1950s. The words were different but the tune is the same.<ref>Hail to De La Salle! POSTCARDS, DLSAA Alumni Homecoming Presentation. Accessed September 3, 2006</ref> The song was first sung during a graduation in 1964. It was later adopted by the NCAA basketball team and cheerleaders in the mid-1960s. The song eventually became the alma mater theme of De La Salle College and other Lasallian institutions in the Philippines. It is sung by students and alumni with the gesture of continuously raising a clenched fist into the air. It has then been sung traditionally in every Lasallian event and gathering and in victory or defeat in sporting events.
Green and White
In August 1924, the maiden issue of the student publication was called Green and White, where the color green was adopted as a tribute to Ireland, where the first batch of Brothers came from, while white represents the Philippines, from the "Pearl of the Orient Seas" that is pearly white.<ref name="greenwhite">DLSU-Manila : Inside DLSU : Overview dlsu.edu.ph Accessed September 3, 2006</ref> The High School team adopted the school colors and used the nickname Greenies before 1939. Today, Green and White is used as the name of the university's yearbook.
The Green Archer
The Green Archer was inspired by William Tell and St. La Salle who both served the less fortunate.<ref>DLSU-Manila International Students Guide dlsu.edu.ph Accessed September 3, 2006</ref> It is the official athletic nickname of the university and also considered as its official symbol. La Salle basketball players were first referred to as the Green Archers during the NCAA games of the 1939-1940 season. The official mascots of the university are also green archers: Gordo, a fat archer, Flaco, a thin archer, and Sally, a lady archer.<ref>DLSU-Manila : Help : Frequently Asked Questions dlsu.edu.ph Accessed September 3, 2006</ref>
The Green Archer statue standing at the central plaza was done by Ed Castrillo in 1985. It was first exhibited during the celebration of the Diamond Jubilee in 1986. In 1992, it was moved to its present location.<ref name="greenwhite" />
De La Salle University-Manila is a member of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines, Home and Away League, Shakey's V-League, National Capital Region Athletic Association (NCRAA), University Games (UNIGAMES) and other tournaments and invitationals local and international.<ref>DLSU-Manila: Athletics dlsu.edu.ph Accessed September 3, 2006</ref> It is also a founding member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association in the 1924. Notable sports rivals include the Ateneo Blue Eagles, and previously the Letran Knights during the Archers' NCAA days. A staple cheer is Animo La Salle (a Spanish derivative of the Latin word for soul) and Rektikano (The right to rule). Animo La Salle and Rektikano has also been adopted by other Lasallian institutions.
In 2004, the University team, the Green Archers, won the University Athletic Association of the Philippines men's basketball title. They also bagged 200 medals in December 2004, while under the Team UAAP of the Philippines, as it competed against other universities in Asia and the Pacific.
In August 2005, two basketball players (one-a current player and the second-a former player)were found ineligible to play in the UAAP by the university due to their earlier submission of falsified Dep-Ed government-issued documents in order to enter the university as college freshmen in schoolyear 2003-04. After its official internal investigation ended on November 2005, the university decided to return its 2004 UAAP championship and 2005 runner-up trophies and, in a letter addressed to the UAAP, De La Salle informed the league of their intent to take a leave from men's basketball.<ref>La Salle cage squad files leave of absence Philippine Daily Inquirer, February 1, 2006</ref> The university also expelled both students for previously submitting to the university falsified admission-required documents. The UAAP rejected the move for a leave by La Salle, saying that since basketball is a required event for members' continuing participation, La Salle would have to file a leave of absence from all athletic events and not just Men's Basketball. In a meeting held at Adamson University on April 21, 2006, the UAAP Board unanimously voted to suspend De La Salle from all UAAP athletic events for 69th season due to negligence.<ref>UAAP slaps 1-year ban on De La Salle Philippine Daily Inquirer, April 22, 2006</ref>
Notes and references
- ^ "In Review: De La Salle's Endowment Fund". The LaSallian. Vol. XLVI No. 7. December 15, 2006. DLSU Science Foundation, a separate corporation from DLSU, manages the endowment funds of the university. The PhP 501.03 million fund is for school year 2004-2005.
- ^ a b c De La Salle University-Manila Student's Handbook: 2003-06. Manila: DLSU Press. 2003
- ^ Carlos Quirino. La Salle: 1911–1986. Filipinas Foundation, Inc. 1986.
- ^ DLSU System Historical Background. system.dlsu.edu.ph. 2004
- ^ Fresh perspective: The Myth of "La Salle Main" (PDF), DLS-CSB Marketing Communications Office, May 2006
- ^ DLSU-Manila: PAASCU dlsu.edu.ph Accessed September 3, 2006
- ^ a b c d De La Salle University-Manila. (2002). Undergraduate catalog. Manila: DLSU Press.
- ^ Br. Albinus Peter was the first to use the title of President. The previous title for the Chief Executive Officer was Director.
- ^ Br. Anthony Ferdinand became Acting President after Br. Lucian Athanasius was forced to return to the United States to rest.
- ^ Br. Gabriel succeeded Br. Andelino Manuel FSC, who served as Acting President for three months after Br. Athanasius died in 1950.
- ^ Dr. Quebengco became Interim President after Br. Rolando Dizon was chosen to become the Chairman of the Commission on Higher Education
- ^ a b c DLSU-Manila: ITC's Historical Background,dlsu.edu.ph Accessed September 5, 2006
- ^ DigitalFilipino.com RP Internet Facts, Accessed September 10, 2006
- ^ Philippine Internet Review:: BOOK OUTLINE, Philippine Internet Review Project Accessed September 5, 2006
- ^ DLSU-Manila : Faculty & Staff : Overview dlsu.edu.ph Accessed March 13, 2007
- ^ Ruiz, L. J. and K. J. Tang. Application fee panghimok sa mga potensyal na Lasalyano. Ang Pahayagang Plaridel 25 Aug. 2006: A6.
- ^ Its Mechanical Engineering and Chemical Engineering college programs respectively hold the distinction as CHED's only Center-of-Excellence awardee in the Philippines in their field of study. DLSU-Manila: College of Engineering Accessed October 21, 2006
- ^ CHED reaffirms COS Center of Excellence status, 2401, Vol. 38. October 9, 2006
- ^ IT Department named as CHED Center of Excellence, 2401, Vol. 38. No. 22. April 02, 2007
- ^ Excellence in IT Education. The Philippine Star. March 28, 2007.
- ^ Edifice for Brother Andrew, Recto Architects, 2005
- ^ Recto designs new 20-storey DLSU bldg. Philippine Daily Inquirer, April 20, 2004
- ^ Hail to De La Salle! ANTHEM, DLSAA Alumni Homecoming Presentation. Accessed September 3, 2006
- ^ Hail to De La Salle! POSTCARDS, DLSAA Alumni Homecoming Presentation. Accessed September 3, 2006
- ^ a b DLSU-Manila : Inside DLSU : Overview dlsu.edu.ph Accessed September 3, 2006
- ^ DLSU-Manila International Students Guide dlsu.edu.ph Accessed September 3, 2006
- ^ DLSU-Manila : Help : Frequently Asked Questions dlsu.edu.ph Accessed September 3, 2006
- ^ DLSU-Manila: Athletics dlsu.edu.ph Accessed September 3, 2006
- ^ La Salle cage squad files leave of absence Philippine Daily Inquirer, February 1, 2006
- ^ UAAP slaps 1-year ban on De La Salle Philippine Daily Inquirer, April 22, 2006
|University Athletic Association of the Philippines (2008-09)|
|Universities||Adamson | Ateneo | La Salle | FEU | NU | UE | UP | UST|| |
|High schools||Adamson | Ateneo | DLSZ | FEU-FERN | NU | UE | UPIS | USTHS|
|Seniors' teams||Falcons | Blue Eagles | Green Archers | Tamaraws | Bulldogs | Red Warriors | Fighting Maroons | Growling Tigers|
|Juniors' teams||Baby Falcons | Blue Eaglets | Junior Archers | Baby Tamaraws | Bullpups | Pages | Junior Maroons | Tiger Cubs|
|Sports||Badminton | Baseball | Basketball | Beach volleyball | Cheerdance | Chess | Football | Fencing | Judo | Softball | Swimming | Table tennis | Taekwondo | Tennis | Track and field | Volleyball | Overall|