- you may also want to view the Congress of the Philippines
In politics, a congress ("a gathering of people") is the name of the main legislative body in a state that operates under a congressional system of government. In non-political usage congress is a term applied to a large national or international grouping of people meeting together with common interests or concerns, e.g. an academic conference.
Countries with Congresses and presidential systems:
- The Congress of the Philippines (Filipino: Kongreso ng Pilipinas) is the legislative branch of the Philippine government.
- The United States Congress is the bicameral legislative branch of the United States federal government.
- The Congress of Mexico (Spanish: Congreso de la Unión) is the legislative branch of Mexican government.
- The Congress of Peru|Congress of the Republic of Peru (Spanish: Congreso de la República) is the unicameral legislature of Peru.
- The Argentine National Congress|Congress of the Argentine Nation (Spanish: Congreso de la Nación Argentina) is the legislative branch of the government of Argentina.
- The National Congress of Brazil (Portuguese: Congresso Nacional) is Brazil's legislature.
- The National Congress of Chile (Spanish: Congreso Nacional) is the legislative branch of the government of Chile.
- The National Congress of Ecuador is the unicameral legislature of Ecuador.
- The Congress of Guatemala (Spanish: Congreso de la República) is the unicameral legislature of Guatemala.
- The Congress of Honduras (Spanish: Congreso Macional) is the legislative branch of the government of Honduras.
- The Congress of the Federated States of Micronesia is the unicameral legislature of the Federated States of Micronesia.
- The Congress of the Dominican Republic is the bicameral legislature of the Dominican Republic.
- The Congress of Paraguay is the bicameral legislature of Paraguay.
- The National Congress of Bolivia is the national legislature of Bolivia.
Other Countries with Congresses:
- The legislature of the People's Republic of China is known in English as the National People's Congress. The PRC is nevertheless not a congressional system.
- In France, the congrès is a formal and exceptional joint meeting of Parliament of France|both houses of Parliament in order to ratify an amendment to the Constitution.
- Spanish Congress of Deputies (Spanish: Congreso de los Diputados), the lower house of the Cortes Generales, Spain's legislative branch
Congress has also been used to describe certain historical gatherings, such as
- the Congress of Gniezno (1000)
- the Congress of Vienna (1815), reorganizing Europe after the Napoleon wars,
- the Congress of Berlin (1877-78), reorganizing conditions in the Balkans,
- the Congress of Tucumán (1816)
- The Congress of Panama was an 1826 meeting of representatives from several Latin American republics organized by Simon Bolivar in an attempt to promote Pan-American unity.
- The National Congress of Belgium was a temporarly legislative assembly in 1830, formed to create a constitution for the new state.
- The United States [[Continental Congress
- The Indian National Congress
- The Iraqi National Congress
- The African National Congress
(Note, the political parties mentioned above also began as groups of this type).
Congress is also part of the name of certain international bodies, such as
- The Congress of the Council of Europe.
Congress is an alternative name for a large national or international academic conference.
A Chess congress is a chess tournament, in one city, where a large number of contestants gather to play competitive chess over a limited period of time; typically one day to one week.