| Assumed office |
September 3, 2002
|Appointed by||Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo|
|Preceded by||Jose A.R. Melo|
|Born|| June 18, 1941|
Paoay, Ilocos Norte
|Spouse||Eugenio T. Morales|
Conchita Carpio-Morales (born June 19, 1941) is an incumbent Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the Philippines. She was appointed to the Court by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo on September 3, 2002.
Carpio-Morales earned her law degree from the College of Law of the University of the Philippines. Upon graduation, she joined the Department of Justice, where she served until her appointment as a trial court judge.
Carpio-Morales began her stint in the judiciary as a trial court judge, first in Pili, Camarines Sur, then in Pasay City. In 1994, she was appointed to the Court of Appeals by President Fidel Ramos. She served in the appellate court until her appointment to the Supreme Court in 2002.
Some notable opinions
- John Hay Peoples Alternative Coalition v. Lim (2003) — on authority of the President to grant tax exemptions without congressional authorization
- Francisco v. House of Representatives (2003) — on the impeachment resolution against Chief Justice Hilario Davide, Jr.
- La Bugal- B’Laan Tribal Association, Inc. v. Ramos I (2004) and II (2004) - Dissenting — on the constitutionality of the Mining Act of 1995 (Dissent joined by J. Ynares-Santiago)
- Tecson v. COMELEC (2004) - Dissenting — on the nationality of presidential candidate Fernando Poe, Jr. (joined by J. Quisumbing and Corona)
- Central Bank Employees v. BSP (2004) - Dissenting — on claims for wage increases of government employees in accordance with equal protection clause even absent enabling legislation
- CSC v. DBM (2005) — on fiscal autonomy of Civil Service Commission
- Yuchengco v. Sandiganbayan (2006) — on the recovery of shares of stock in PLDT as part of the ill-gotten wealth of Ferdinand Marcos
- Senate v. Ermita (2006) — on validity of presidential ban prohibiting executive officials testifying before legislative inquiries without presidential consent
Jose A.R. Melo
|Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of the Philippines
September 3, 2002 – present
|The Puno Court|
|Reynato S. Puno (2006-present)|
|January 31, 2007– present:||L. Quisumbing | C. Ynares-Santiago | A. Sandoval-Gutierrez | A. Carpio | A. Austria-Martinez | R. Corona | C. Carpio-Morales | R. Callejo,Sr. | A. Azcuna | D. Tinga | M. Chico-Nazario | C. Garcia | P. Velasco, Jr. | A. Nachura|