|Region||Davao Region (Region XI)|
|Governor|| Arturo "Chiongkee" T. Uy
Vice Governor: Ramil L. Gentugaya
Congressmen Manuel "Way Kurat" Zamora (District I), Bobong Amatong (District II)
District I: Maricar Zamora-Apsay, Villamor, Paul "Toto" Galicia, Atty. Dexter Lopoz, Neri Barte
|Area|| 4,667.0 km²|
|Total (2000)|| 580,244|
Compostela Valley is a province of the Philippines located in the Davao Region in Mindanao. The province, called Comval for short, used to be part of Davao del Norte until it was made independent in 1998. It is the fourth newest province of the Philippines, behind Dinagat Islands, Shariff Kabunsuan and Zamboanga Sibugay. Its capital is Nabunturan. The province borders Davao del Norte to the west, Agusan del Sur to the north, and Davao Oriental to the east. To the southwest lies the Davao Gulf.
People and culture
Majority of the inhabitants are migrants from Cebu and other Visayan provinces. The cultural minorities in the province include the Mansak, Mandaya, Dibabawons, Mangguangans and Aeta groups such as the Talaingod, Langilan, and Matigsalug.
The main source of livelihood this province is agri products. Like rice, coconuts, and banana. Some residents have fishponds and culture their own fish like tilapia, milkfish and a lot more.
Compostela Valley is subdivided into 11 municipalities.
- Maragusan: Aguacan Inland Resort, Tagbibinta Falls, Mt. Candalaga
- New Bataan: Manurigao Falls, White Peak, Andap Inland Resort
- Nabunturan: Mainit Hot Spring, San Vicente Caves, Toyuzu Inland Resort
- Magnaga, Pantukan Beach Resorts and Hotels
- Mabini: Manaklay Beach Park and Resort, Pindasan, Mabini
- Mabini: Beach View Resort, Pindasan, Mabini
- Mabini: Bern's Beach Resort, Pindasan, Mabini
- Simballay Festival
-celebrated every 3rd week of December, Simballay Festival showcases different cultures in the capital municipality Nabunturan
- AniBina Bulawanon Festival
-showcases the culture of Compostela Valley. This event is celebrated from March 1 to 8 which is also the founding anniversary of the province.
- Buganihan Festival
-celebrated every June 19 to 23, culminating on the 23rd - the Founding day of the Municipality of Compostela
- Liwanag Festival
-celebrated every December showcasing lighted booths and barangay corners within the Poblacion of the Municipality of Montevista.
- Joint Oathtaking Ceremony of Provincial elected Officials, June 30, 2007 at 4:00pm at the Provincial Capitol grounds, Cabidianan, Nabunturan, Compostela Valley Province. Theme: "Compostela Valley... a new era of unity and good governance."