Cinemalaya Foundation, Inc.
|Cinemalaya Foundation, Inc.|
Cinemalaya Foundation, Inc. is a non-stock, non-profit, and non-government foundation that is dedicated to the development and promotion of Philippine independent films.
Cinemalaya aims to promote independent or "indie" films locally and internationally. It seeks to develop and support Filipino independent film artists and filmmakers so that they may fearlessly articulate and unreservedly interpret with fresh insight and artistic morality the production of their cinematic works. It also seeks new talented Filipino filmmakers, recognizing their gifts and further enhancing them through support and training. Cinemalaya serves as an avenue for the establishment of a network and exchange of information and cooperation amongst other independent film sectors.
Nicanor G.Tiongson describes Cinemalaya’s logo as the balanghai, a huge boat with a sail and outriggers that the early Filipinos used in search of a land where they could live in freedom. This balanghai represents the energy, imagination, courage, and unfaltering spirit of the Filipinos. This muse or diwata inspires and serves as a guide for filmmakers to be able to create cinematic works with deep emotion and sharp insight, thereby making films that cut through convention and prejudice, revealing the dynamic and vibrant complexity of what it is to be human and what it means to be a Filipino.
- Training and Education
- Audience Development
- Research and Archiving
- Core project: Cinemalaya Festival/ Competition/ Congress
- Other Projects
- National Outreach projects (e.g. move-over festivals in other parts of the country)
- Seminars and workshops on production, marketing and distribution of independent films
- Database project on independent films and filmmakers; local and international film festivals, etc.
- Financing scheme project with DTI/ NCAA
- "About Us." Cinemalaya.org. (Accessed 3 July 2009)
- "Cinemalaya." Getzmo.com. (Accessed on October 9, 2007)