Central Philippine University
Central Philippine University
|Motto||Scientia et Fides|
|Location||Iloilo City, Iloilo, Philippines|
Central Philippine University was founded in 1905 as the Jaro Industrial School by missionaries of the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society. It was originally an elementary vocational School for boys who along with studying also were required to work (in a vocational occupation that would help them in later life like writing, photography, boat navigation, etc.) for their board and tuition.
Due to this vocational education the school acquired the distinction of having organized the first student government in the entire country - the Jaro Industrial School Republic, and one of the oldest student newspapers - the Central Echo.
Dr. William Orison Valentine, an American missionary and the school's first principal, worked diligently many years through government bureaucracy for incorporation and recognition as a school by both the American & Filipino governments until achieving this in 1913. This same year, female students were first admitted. In 1915, the first two years of high school were offered. In 1920, the third and fourth year classes were added and the following year the first batch of high school graduated.
To satisfy the growing desire of young people for education, a junior college was opened in 1923 and the name of the school was changed to Central Philippine College. The senior college was established in 1936 and by 1940 five degrees were offered: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Education, Bachelor of Theology and Bachelor of Religious Education.
April 1, 1953, was an important landmark in the CPU story. On that day the ardent dream of thousands of alumni and the long line of American and Filipino pioneers became a reality: Central Philippine College gained university status and became Central Philippine University.
From the founding of the school, Filipinos were gradually given larger responsibilities in its administration. In 1966 the first Filipino president, Dr. Rex D. Drilon, was elected; and in 1968 the entire university property - land, buildings, and equipment - was turned over by the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society to the Filipino corporation of CPU. Since 1973, all members of the Board of Trustees and administrative officials of the university have been Filipinos.
CPU is committed to the belief that Christian teachings must regulate the personal, family, and social life of the individual. It aims therefore, to offer a well-rounded education by developing the student spiritually, intellectually, physically and socially to the end that he may become a productive and responsible citizen. It seeks to provide an environment conducive to the enhancement of Filipino identity and the pursuit of excellence, permeated by Christian influence which strengthens personal faith and builds character.
Pursuant to the attainment of this purpose and in conformance with national policy, a program of general and professional education and community outreach is offered.
The 24-hectare campus, located along Lopez Jaena Street, Jaro, Iloilo City, was originally chosen for its quiet and relative isolation but is now a veritable community by itself with more than 35 buildings used for classrooms and support facilities. The beautifully landscaped campus had been declared a tourist destination by the local tourism authority. During the monsoon season, however, parts of the campus are prone to flooding.