Category:Philippine Science Centers
Botanic gardens in the Philippines
Originally conceived by Juan de Cuellar, a Spanish botanist hired by the "Real Compania de Manila" in the late 17th century. Cuellar proposed the garden to Governor General Antonio Porlier on September 20, 1788 in a lot owned by the "Sociedad Patriotica" in Malate, Manila. Most probably set up in 1791, the exact location is never known but hypothesized to be on the block south of Remedio Street, bounded by Wright Street on the west and by Indiana Street on the east. This botanic garden was the first to be established in the Philippines and in Southeast Asia, preceded only by the botanic garden in Calcutta (Kolkata), India which was built in 1786.
Another botanic garden was built in Manila on September 13, 1858 by Governor General Fernando de Norzagaray located near the Pasig River, which later became known as the Mehan Garden, named after a U.S. Army officer, who took charge of the garden during the American occupation.
Source: Madulid DA 1987. Notes on the first botanic garden in the Philippines. ASBP Communications 1(2): 22-27.
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Pages in category "Philippine Science Centers"
The following 12 pages are in this category, out of 12 total.