Catarman, Northern Samar
Catarman is believed to have been derived from the Waray word kataruman or a 'sharp edge', especially when referring to the blades of weapons. It is a 1st class municipality in the province of Northern Samar province|Northern Samar, Philippines. It is the capital municipality of Northern Samar. According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 67,671 people in 12,437 households.
Catarman is a developing town on the shoulder of Samar Island. The town is in the process of renewing its image as a poor and underdeveloped town in the 1980s.
Catarman is home to the University of Eastern Philippines, which is the biggest university in Eastern Visayas|Region 8 having 3 campuses (UEP Main, Laoang and Catubig) catering to 30,000 students.
The flashfloods hit Catarman because the cold front hits the town. They then experience brown-outs during those catastrophes.
Catarman is politically subdivided into 55 barangays.
- DYSM-AM Aksyon Radyo 972 (Pacific Broadcasting Systems)
- DYWX: Radyo Patrol 1080 (ABS-CBN Corporation)
- DYJT: Biyaheng Radyo 1179 (Security Broadcasting Corporation)
- DYIZ: DYIZ 1287 (Aliw Broadcasting Corporation)
- DYKE: DYKE 1449 (Audiovisual Communicators, Inc.
- DYUA: 1575 (Soon to Air) (Progressive Broadcasting Corporation)
- DYMT Magic 88.9 Quest Broadcasting Inc.
- DYQZ 90.5 Home Radio (Insular Broadcasting System)
- DYHD 92.5 Crossover (Soon to Air) (Mareco Broadcasting Network)
- DYPX Monster Radio PX 93.7 (Audiovisual Communicators, Inc.)
- DYVP-FM 98.5 Love Radio (Manila Broadcasting Company)
- DYNS: DYNS 102.9 (University of the Eastern Philippines)
- DYJC: 104.5 Power FM (Sumoroy Broadcasting Corporation)
- DYYP: 106.1 Yes! FM (Pacific Broadcasting Systems)
- Catarman Northern Samar Photos
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- 2000 Philippine Census Information