The municipality of Bugallon was formerly called "Salasa" which means a part of a wooden house where the floor is attached to. In the Spanish colonial era, the Spanish authorities established the town center in Poblacion (now Barangay Salasa). Because of flooding and erosion, the town center was later transferred to Barrio Anagao (became Barangay Poblacion) but the Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, one of the oldest churches in the country, could not be transferred (every time someone attempts, he dies). A new Catholic church was created in the Poblacion, the Saint Andrew Catholic Church. This is the reason why Bugallon has two Catholic Churches. The town was named after the town's hero General Jose Torres Bugallon who fought together with general Antonio Luna during the 1896 revolution.
Bugallon is politically subdivided into 24 barangays.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- 2000 Philippine Census Information
- Official Website of the Provincial Government of Pangasinan
- Pasyalan Pangasinan
- Pangasinan: Preservation and Revitalization of the Pangasinan Language and Literature
- Sunday Punch
- Sun Star Pangasinan
- Pangasinan Star Online
- Pangasinan Test Wikipedia