The Augustinian Recollects or the Order of the Augustinians Recollects are a Roman Catholic monastic order of men and women. They are a reformist offshoot from the Augustinian hermit friars and follow the Augustinian Rule. They were founded in 16th century Spain, and their reform emphasized fidelity to the Rule of St. Augustine. The reformers placed special emphasis on community prayer and simplicity of life. The Recollects were formally recognized as an Order in the Catholic Church in 1912.
Where the Recollects are to be found
The Recollects are present in 19 countries including in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, England, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama, Peru, Philippines, Spain, Taiwan, USA, and Venezuela. As of 1997, the Recollects numbered 1,258 in 201 religious houses, distributed into eight provinces (regions) in four continents, but strongest in Spain, the Philippines and Colombia. The official languages of the Order are Spanish, English, and Portuguese.
The Augustinian Recollects in the Philippines
The Recollects have a significant presence in the Philippines. They administer two universities: the University of Negros Occidental-Recoletos (founded 1941) in Bacolod City and University of San Jose - Recoletos(founded 1947) in Cebu City. They also administer three colleges; San Sebastian College - Recoletos (founded 1941) in Manila); San Sebastian College - Recoletos de Cavite (Recollect friars) and St. Joseph's College (Recollect nuns) both in Cavite City; as well as four secondary schools; namely the Colegio de Santo Tomas-Recoletos founded in San Carlos City, Negros Occidental; UNO-R High School in Talisay City, Negros Occidental; San Pedro Academy in Valencia, Negros Oriental; and San Pedro Academy-Recoletos, in Caidiocan, Valencia, Negros Oriental.
The Augustinian Recollects in China
The Recollects foundation in Taiwan is based at Kaohsiung. They are supported by Filipino Recollects from the Province of St. Ezekiel Moreno.
- Order of the Canons Regular of Premontre; Norbertines founded by St. Norbert (1120)
- Society of Saint Augustine
- The Augustinian Recollects
- International Order of St. Augustine
- Text of the Rule of St. Augustine
- Catholic Encyclopedia entry for the "Hermits of St Augustine"
- Augustinian Canons of Stift Klosterneuburg in Austria
- Order of the Hermit Friars of St. Augustine (O.S.A.)
- The Society of Saint Augustine (S.S.A.) Societas Sancti Augustini
- Catholic Encyclopaedia article - now very outdated