|Directed by||Rommel Tolentino|
|Written by||Rommel Tolentino|
|Starring||Leo Solis, Leonardo Solis, Teresita Solis, Job Leonoro, Manuel Gonzaga|
Andong is a Philippine short film written and directed by Rommel Tolentino. An award-winning film, the 20-minute long movie is about a poor 6-year-old boy’s obsession with getting 20 pesos to help him achieve his dreams. Along with 9 other films, it was entered in the Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival short film section, whose theme was “Anong Kwento Mo?” on 21 July 2008, and in the 13th Pusan International Film Festival in Korea in October 2008.
Andong, a 6-year-old boy from an impoverished family in the slums, goes scavenging in the dumpsite of Payatas. The precocious boy has an obsession. He goes to great lengths just to get 20 pesos so he can buy a ticket for the barangay raffle and win a television set. It takes a miracle for the young boy to win over his disapproving mother. But he still has his younger brother to deal with.
The film not only gives a glimpse of the life of a poor scavenger but deals with the universal themes of family and social relationships, the real value of money, and the passions and struggles in the world of a young boy.
- Leo Solis
- Leonardo Solis
- Teresita Solis
- Job Leonoro
- Manuel Gonzaga
- Pusan International Film Festival jury: “The director has excavated a truthful story from the midst of the city dumpsite and told it with witty humor and brilliant performance.”
- Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival jury: "…devoted and humorous take on a young boy's obsessions, revealing in the process the complex of social relations and social struggles that are any young Filipino's rite of passage…"
- 2008 Sonje Award (shared with Korean short film “Girl”), 13th Pusan International Film Festival
- 2008 Balanghai Trophy for Best Short Film, Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival
- 2008 Best Screenplay - Short Film category, Cinemalaya Independent Film Festival
- “Andong.” In Internet Movie Database. (Accessed February 9, 2009).
- "‘100′ and ‘Andong’ Win in Pusan International Film Festival." In Starometer, October 12, 2008 (Accessed February 9, 2009).
- "2008 .Mov Film Festival Program." In .MOVFest.com (Accessed February 9, 2009).
- Medel, Fidel Antonio. “Bite-Sized Reviews.” In Pixelated Popcorn. (Accessed February 9, 2009).
- "13th Pusan International Film Festival." In Teahouse Cinema. (Accessed February 9, 2009).